OSS: A Kris Bryant home run backs up Lester's gem.
- Jon Lester pitched his best game of the season, going the distance while striking out ten, allowing just four hits and no walks. The first batter of the game took him deep, but he cruised the rest of the way. Lester now has a 2.29 ERA with 8.79 K/9 and 2.17 BB/9. He has given up more than one run in only three of his eleven starts.
- Kris Bryant provided all the cushion Lester needed with a two run shot in the third inning. It put him ahead of the still slimping Rizzo for the team lead with 12.
- The Pirates and Cardinals both lost today.
- I missed almost all of this game and tuned in during the eighth inning. I was a little surprised to see Lester batting for himself, but I'm cool with Joe giving him a chance for the complete game. I was pretty dumbdounded that Rondon was in the dugout though, and didn't see that Strop was warming up. Sounds like Rondon has a sore back. Get well soon. Or don't. I can't tell you what to do, Hector Rondon.
- Nothing in particular jumps out at me here, so let's give this spot to Rizzo for a TOOTBLAN following Bryant's home run. Though comments in the thread say he might have been safe. Eh. If indeed he was this spot can go to Clayton Richard for still being on the roster.
- Anibal Sanchez got demoted to the bullpen and Edwin Jackson got DFA'd again. Bummer for both guys, and a bummer for post-hoc analyses of those signings.
Next up: The Cubs go for the series win on getaway day. 19 year old Julio Urias faces off with 19 year old looking Kyle Hendricks.