OSS: Cyle does his thing, the bullpen doesn’t do its thing.
- Cyle continued his dominance of the Cardinals this season, and now has allowed just one earned run in 23 innings, striking out 13 and walking none. He had to work around a little trouble in this one at times but managed to get the job done. After a rocky start to the season in April, Hendricks’ ERA is all the way down to 3.07. The dude can pitch
- Ian Happ picked up his first RBI of the year on a single that scored Kris Bryant from second base. I would need to double check to be sure, but I think this is the Cubs first non-HR with RISP since May 7 or so. It certainly feels that way.
- The bullpen didn’t shit the bed, though Kimbrel came pretty close to giving up the lead.
- Javy scored the second run of the game on a botched pickoff to 2b where he should have been dead to rights. Instead the Cardinals biffed it and he managed to trot on home while the ball trickled into CF. Reverse TOOTBLAN?
- It wasn’t the first boneheaded baserunning play of the day, as Wilson Contreras tried to follow Heyward’s example and take an extra base on his single in the second inning, only to be thrown out at second to end the inning rather than leave runners at the corners with two outs for Bryzzo.
- Two runs isn’t really going to cut it most days, but I’ll take the W. More offense would be good though.
Next up: The Cubs go for the series win with Big Jon Lester on the mound. He takes on Jack Flaherty at 6:15 PM CT.