OSS: Cubs hit 17 singles to outlast Twins in brutal heat.
- Almora, Zobrist, Bote, and Heyward all had big games by WPA on the back of a combined 10-14 with four walks. They were smart enough to make all of those hits singles, as running in this game was not a good idea given that four players, including Almora, left due to heat-related issues.
- Only three walks for Tyler Chatwood! #Progress. We’ll ignore the seven runs since he was in line for the win when he left the ball game. Clearly this is a guy who knows how to win.
- Pedro Strop got five outs without giving up a run, which is better than pretty much any other pitcher could say in this game with these conditions.
- I listened to this game on the radio, and even I felt like I was sweating just listening to it. I wonder how hot it would have to get before MLB would consider postponing. I’m sure Rangers fans can relate.
- Duensing still looks kind of bad, though it’s hard to take anything away from this particular game.
- Given the temps and the length of this game, I’m guessing we get more of Chris Giminez tomorrow.
Next up: The Cubs go for the sweep with Jon Lester on the mound against old punching bag Lance Lynn. Given how much Lester sweats in April games, the grounds crew is going to need to install a bucket next to the mound.