OSS: Cubs bats wake up in a rout.
- Jason Heyward was the WPA winner of the day, getting the vaunted game winning RBI with his three run homer in the first. It was his third of the season, and his slash line now reads .294/.342/.456.
- The other WPA winner on the day was Addison Russell, who drove in the first run and had a four hit day.
- Finally, it was Ben Zobrist who really got the rout going with a bases loaded double in the second inning, with an assist from RF Jose Osuna's not so sharp outfield defense. The relatively anemic Pirates offense is certainly missing his bat, but they might be missing his glove even more.
- Brett Anderson put together a 'quality' start that included six walks and an ill-advised barehanded snag on a comebacker. It worked out in the end, but even with a giant lead most Cubs fans do not have a ton of confidence in him. The same goes for Joe, who had Grimm warming up in the second inning.
- You really have to reach to find something to complain about in a huge blowout. The Cubs rested a bunch of their regulars as the game went on, but not Bryzzo. This would have been a great time to get TLS in there were it not for the eight man pen.
- The Cubs can't take some of these runs into tomorrow's game.
Next up: Kyle "gotta earn back that Cyle nickname" Hendricks takes on Gerrit Cole at 6:05 PM CT.