OSS: Kris Bryant bags a hat trick.
- The Cubs offense exploded for six home runs, with Bryant providing half that total. All three of Bryant’s home runs landed in the Cubs bullpen – maybe he was dive bombing them in revenge for trying to blow the game?
- I’m not sure what is more impressive – Bryant homering three times or Almora hitting a 445 ft bomb of a HR off Max Scherzer of all people. Almora can’t hit righties, but somehow has homers against Scherzer and Kenley Jansen this year.
- Kyle Schwarber had a big day at the top of the lineup, and was actually the Cubs top player by WPA today. War Bear walked three times and homered following a thirteen pitch at bat.
- Hamels’s stat line was fine in this one, but he could have gone a lot deeper were it not for a spotty strike zone from the home plate umpire.
- The Cubs bullpen put up a homage to the Nats performance in Game 5 of the 2017 NLDS in the seventh inning. After a few baserunners got on against Kintzler, Edwards came in an promptly balked in a run, then threw a wild pitch for what should have been another Nats run. Instead the ball bounced back to him and he was able to tag Dozier out.
- Descalso had a 0-3 day, and his number continue to slide. Luckily the guy he effectively replaced isn’t doing anything with the Angels..
Next up: Jon Lester takes on Stephen Stasburg in another marquee matchup. First pitch at 6:15 PM CT