OSS: Cubs bomb their way out of a slump.
- Kris Bryant broke his month-long homerless streak with a bomb to LF in the third inning. It’s one of the stranger slumps you’ll see – Bryant was merely above average while he was scuffling. He add two more RsBI with a single in the Cubs rally in the fifth and a sac fly with the bases clogged later in the game.
- Kyle Schwarber and Ian Happ also went yard in this game, and Almora, Rizzo, and Russell all had three hits. It was a team effort in this beatdown against one of the (now formerly) top ten guys in the league by ERA.
- Jon Lester had yet another solid outing, allowing just two runs in six innings and walking just one. According to the gun that Coomer saw he was also hitting 92-93 with his fastball, which is especially nice to see.
- Brewers win, thanks a lot Jake, jeez.
- Willie was the only starter without a hit, though he did draw a walk.
- I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a WPA line like Russell’s – he was 3-4 with a walk, three runs scored, and an RBI and had a -0.15 WPA on the day. This is due to his lone out being a flyout to RF that doubled off Javy, who was stealing on the pitch so tough luck for everyone there.
Next up: Kyle Hendricks takes on Carlos Martinez at 7:15 PM CT. Somehow I don’t think their stuff is that similar.