OSS: Cubs finish off the sweep with a bit of late drama to close it out.
- Jon Lester hit his second career homer to get the Cubs eight run rally started in the second inning. He almost batted again in the inning, and a second homer in that spot would have been pretty much perfect for how crazy the conditions were today. He gave up nine hits and three walks in five innings, with two runs, but that feels like a rousing success given how the ball was jumping.
- Ian Happ had the other Cubs homer on the day, and he reached base in all five of his PAs.
- Unlike yesterday’s singles party, the Cubs were hitting for extra bases today. Rizzo and Schwarber had RBI doubles, Baez hit two, and Contreras added a triple for good measure.
- Addison Russell left the game with a hand injury after a great catch/collision in the sixth and is day to day, as are we all.
- Dillon Maples shat the bed with two outs in the eighth and almost gave the game all the way back.
- Judging from the comments Willson had a lousy game behind the plate, but it’s tough to blame the guy for flagging a bit after catching two games in these conditions.
The Cubs have an off day, then host another AL Central punching bag in the Tigers for a two game set. Kyle Hendricks takes on Michael Fulmer in another day game for some reason on Tuesday.