OSS: Cubs thump Pirates, hopefully turn the page on the dumpster fire road trip.
- The Cubs sent Jameson Taillon packing with a little help from Pirates shortstop Kevin Newman, who had three errors in the second inning. Jon Lester, of all people, drove in the first run at Wrigley in 2019.
- The game was out of hand at that point, but Kyle Schwarber homered against a lefty. Hopefully this will help with seeing him in the lineup more often, rather than this Zagunis platoon that Joe seems set on.
- After an early Jon Lester exit, the bullpen combined to put up seven shutout innings, walking just two batters.
- Jon Lester left early with a hamstring strain, which may or may not have been aggravated by running the bases in the Cubs rally in the second inning. Lester at least doesn’t seem to think it’s that serious, and is planning to make his next start. But we’ll find out more after an MRI tomorrow.
- The Cubs offense put up ten runs today, so it’s tough to complain, but Rizzo, Baez, and Contreras managed to strike out three times each in this one.
- This opener off day stuff is still pretty annoying, but at least it’s coming after a win.
Next up: Yu Darvish faces Jordan Lyles at 7:05 PM on Wed. It sounds like the weather might be pretty miserable for both games in the rest of the series.