OSS: Cubs blast their way past the Beers to start off their last series of the season
- Kyle Schwarber hit a grand slam in the sixth inning to put this game out of reach. Schwarber leads the team with 34 home runs, and has posted his best strikeout rate since becoming a regular.
- A lot of players contributed on offense, with four separate guys with a WPA over .200. Willy in particular really had things going on early on, driving in the first two Cubs runs on a double and a home run.
- Speaking of players the Cubs are happy to see back in the lineup, Ben Zobrist seems to have solved the cursed Cubs leadoff position, going 3-3 with two walks in this one.
- After a stretch of dominance in early August, Q had another short-ish, meh start. It would be nice to see him go over six innings again soon.
- Javy Baez was scratched before the game, and Craig Kimbrel hit the IL today.
- The Cardinals somehow won yet again.
Next up: Cole Hamels takes on Zach Davies at 7:05 PM CT. The Brewers won this matchup as a part of their back to back shutouts last weekend, though they ended up more or less making a bullpen game of it. Maybe the Cubs will score this time? The world waits with bated breath.